Course: THE GREATEST STORYTELLERS OF THE 19TH CENTURY.
Organizer: ARTSCAPES UK.
Speakers: Rose Balston.
Tickets: £100 (concessions may apply).
Date: Sep 19th 4:00pm UK Time. Equivalent times:
Americas - PT: Sep 19th 8:00am | ET: Sep 19th 11:00am.
Europe - UK: Sep 19th 4:00pm | CET: Sep 19th 5:00pm.
APAC - CST/HKT/SGT: Sep 19th 11:00pm | AET: Sep 20th 1:00am.
Description from Artscapes UK:
"The 19th century tells a long and extraordinary story. Change is afoot in all walks of life. It is a whirlwind of productivity and creativity but also of shocking drama. In this series, Rose Balston will dive deep into the lives and works of just a few artists practicing in this tumultuous time: among others Vigée Le Brun, Canova, Goya, William Blake, the Pre-Raphaelites and Whistler. Through their art, Rose will explore the social, political, economic and religious upheaval that challenged every sector of society.
This was an age of revolution, war, thrumming industry, colonialization and Darwinism. Grappling to come to terms with these unprecedented cultural shifts, artists fought for change - armed just with a brush or chisel and hope for a better future. As they sought out new forms of expression we will witness heroic, disturbing, visionary, melancholic, bold, innovative and dazzlingly modern paintings and sculpture. And as ideas bounced back and forth between England, France, Italy and Spain, we’ll see how this thoroughly exciting period of art completely reinvigorated the role of the artist in the modern world.
- This series is suitable for everyone, first-timers to art history, and old hands.
- Listen to all eight lectures to get the most of the period. Or you are welcome to join any of the talks independently.
- Catch-up recordings are available to ticket-holders.
- You are able to choose the option of gifting the series, or just one lecture, as you purchase your ticket.
- To broaden your background of the period, you can buy a bonus bundle which includes all eight live events plus three of Rose’s past talks designed to give further context for the series.
Once purchased, you will have access to the three recorded bonus lectures for three weeks:
- “David: The Art of Revolution”
- “The Hidden Truths of John Constable”
- “The Sun is God: JMW Turner, the Father of Modern Art”
BUY THE BUNDLE: https://artscapesuk.com/19th-century/
BUY THE BONUS BUNDLE: https://artscapesuk.com/19th-century/
Events in this course can be purchased as a bundle or individually.
Click here to view all events in this course: https://aoniaevents.vhx.tv/artscapes-uk-the-greatest-storytellers-of-the-19th-century
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS AND CREDITS
Description: Artscapes UK
Image credit: William Blake, "Albion Rose". From A Large Book of Designs, Copy A, 1793-6. June 1793